Monday 2 April 2018

Creating success in the small things

I was watching a basketball game the other day and the announcer was talking about another announcer.  A team had just won on an incredible last second shot and the announcer was yelling and screaming and immediately went to his phone to check the news cycle.  The second announcer was saying we have become so conditioned to scrolling the news cycle now that we have lost perspective of what is truly important.
I found this statement to be so true.  My family have just spent the last four days isolating ourselves on the farm and pretty much ignoring the world.  It was so nice!  It occurred to me for our kids and us, this is one of our big secrets to success.
Social media and the drama that comes with it is really the biggest enemy our children are currently trying to overcome.  We have seen over and over again when our children is supported by people who understand their needs, they succeed.  It is also why we guard our home so diligently from outside sources because if it isn't the safe retreat we need, we know firsthand just how bad life can get.  This week, my oldest daughter had the opportunity to create a Facebook page and chose otherwise.  For us, this might be the greatest accomplishment she has done yet and a direct testimony to the work her support network has done.  Our middle daughter showcased her butterscotch pie this week at 4H Achievement day.  She made the crust from scratch, the pie from scratch, and the flambed whipped cream from scratch.  Our son watch a Transformers movie marathon in bed for two days, slept to noon the next two days and finally got back to his old self.  It has been a long time since he slept more than six hours.  It is absolutely amazing to me how that cool spring and fall air is so important to him.  Our entire four day weekend consisted of singing in church with friends, eating my daughter's pie, having lunch with the Mom's, dreaming about what we are doing this summer, and walking our 3 km trail with the dog every single day.  No fighting, no yelling, everyone being really lazy and just enjoying each other's company.
Shelley is always reminding me not to get too busy.  My propensity for work can get crazy sometimes where 16 hour days can become the norm and I keep moving to the next project.  However, I have seen what happens when I try to put those same expectations on my children.  Things break down.  But when I remember just how many 18 and 16 year old's are work ready, I realize they really do have bright future.  My oldest is discovering that she is quite the sales person at her co-op.  While she is constantly getting rejected by us as to which horse equipment we are buying because she is always picking the most expensive one, she is great at up-selling customers because she makes great arguments, mainly because she has a lot of practice.  Good thing Shelley and I are good at saying no.  For an 18 year old to have that skill, that is impressive.  And Cassie, the 16 year old, loves washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen as much as she loves serving customers and making meals at the bakery and home.  Yes, I know, all you teenage parents are jealous right now.
I have said it before and I will say it again, if you and your child are still pushing forward, you have achieved success.  These small victories, when put together, always represent something bigger than just themselves.

Two small notes:  Our little group out here in Eastern Ontario has just created our own website and Facebook page.  Please check us out at Rural FASD Support Network .

If you didn't see in the Ontario budget, monies was devoted to FASD diagnostics.  That is a huge one for us.  However, Bill 191 was eliminated in the prorogation and hasn't reappeared.  Not sure at this point if it is permanently gone yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.